I have used and loved the legendary skincare classic that is Elizabeth Arden’s Eight Hour Cream Skin Protectant for years now. I was never a massive fan of the smell of the original version and so when they launched their Fragrance Free version I was all over it! Truthfully, there is still a slight smell to it but not as much as the original. However, the best thing about the new and improved version is that supposedly it is now free from parabens, although there is nothing on line or on the packaging to say that this is true. One thing I have noticed is that the original version would break me out if I used it on my face but the Fragrance free version doesn’t so something has changed for the better.
So anyway, enough rambling. I wanted to share with you all my top five ways to use this product as I feel this little gem isn’t used to it’s full potential. Here it goes…..
- As a skin hydrator– I love to use this on my lips several times a day to keep them moisturised. It also leaves a beautiful sheen to the lips so not only are they soft but they look fab too. Applying a small amount to any dry or flaking areas of skin will instantly give that area back life and moisture. I often use this on my ankles, knees and elbows after a bath as an extra little treat. If you suffer from dry areas on the face, apply a tiny amount of this (seriously a tiny amount because a little goes a very long way) and leave it to soak into the skin for 5 minutes. Pat off excess with a tissue, apply your makeup as normal and you will notice a huge difference in how your makeup sits on your skin.
- To condition my brows and lashes– At night or if I am having a makeup free day I like to apply this to my lashes and my brows to add nourishment to them. I feel like they look more healthy the mornings after I have use this. It gives a beautiful gloss to lashes that opens your eyes and makes you look like you are wearing a small amount of mascara even when you are not. I use this during the day also to keep my brows in place as an alternative to brow wax.
- As a mini manicure for your hands– I always have a small tube of this with me at all times and so regularly use this as a hand cream and at the same time a cuticle cream to keep my hands looking their best. Remember, only use a tiny amount of this as it can be quiet oily.
- As a healing cream for any irritated or burned skin– This works wonders on healing up any burns or irritation on the skin. If I or any of my family have burns I recommend this to them as it ensures that the skin heals back to it’s original state. Also, if anyone has ever had an irritation from a product they have used (except acne as the oiliness of this product wouldn’t be good for this) I would give them some of this to help calm the skin. This is also super for bringing on holidays to help calm sunburn or any insect bites. A must for all you parents out there!! Just a word of warning this will only help calm and heal the skin after burning, it won’t actually treat the burn!
- To give you glowing, shimmering skin– If I am opting for natural looking makeup I apply a small amount of this under my brow bone and on the top of my cheek bones to add a glow to the skin. Again this is great for applying during the day when you are on holidays to give you that beach goddess look. Always make sure you have a high SPF on the area though to avoid over exposure to the sun. When I am getting my pins out I like to use this down the center of the back of my legs to add a glow to the skin which works wonders for making those pins look thinner and longer. I also use this technique down the back and front of my arms to slim them and on my collar bone to add a nice glow. Go the extra mile and add a light dusting of shimmer powder over the area or mix it with the cream before applying to the skin to give you a beautiful shimmer.
So, there you have it my top five ways to use this cult classic. Have you used this in a different way than I have? I would love to hear how you use this product.
One last little thing I would like to point out, the price!! In Ireland this costs €32 for a 50ml which is a ridiculous price considering in America you can get the same size for under $20. I went on a hunt and found this on www.strawberrynet.com for €17 with free shipping. I have bought this from this website for over a year now and have zero problems, they are just not ripping us off like the cosmetic counters are in Ireland. The products from Strawberrynet.com are authentic and so you should have no issues with quality etc. Also their customer service is exceptional if there ever was an issue. You can purchase this here at the lower price if you are interested.
Overall, I love this product and will continue to carry this around with me and use it for years to come especially now that there is a “fragrance free” version. It definitely is a desert island must have for me as it has so many purposes.
Have you ever used this product or a similar product? Will you be adding this to your must have list? I would love to hear your thoughts.
Have a good day
LouiseJanuary 25, 2014 at 8:39 am
Really great post. I love this product and now have loads of new different uses for it. Thanks for sharing this with us xxx
AnitaJanuary 25, 2014 at 8:41 am
Thanks for your lovely comment Louise and glad you found it helpful. Just love this product.it has so many uses xxx
Moisturiser Choices Of The Moment-Oily Skin Edition - Chatterbox.ieJuly 16, 2014 at 7:16 pm
[…] lovely partner in crime Anita did a fab blogpost on Elizabeth Arden’s 8 Hour Cream here with the ins and outs of this […]
Lee FarrellNovember 3, 2014 at 8:29 pm
You always have great tips girls. Off to get this now, all your fault 🙂
GemNovember 4, 2014 at 3:04 pm
Yay!! Aw thanks so much for your support xxx